Welcome to 2015's A–Z Challenge. This year I'm taking you on a tour of one of my favourite cities!

Saturday 4 April 2015

D – Domus

The Domus Sessoriana
My most recent visit to Rome had been with the Ramblers. They had described the hotel as having ‘the most spectacular frontage’ of any hotel in their brochure. That’s not entirely true. The Domus Sessoriana has the most spectacular frontage of any hotel. It’s actually a converted monastery, although most of the building is still used for worship. In fact, the day before my arrival Pope Benedict XVI had attended a televised service there.

Staff are employed – as waiters, receptionists, cleaners etc. – and monks live and work in the remainder of the building. But that doesn’t detract from the hotel atmosphere, or the quality of the accommodation.

It's near enough to the city centre to walk to the Colosseum and the metro is only a few minutes away. If you're thinking of visiting Rome and need a hotel, this has be one to consider!

8 comments:

  1. That hotel has some front door! I have never been to Rome but I am enjoying taking a virtual visit with your blog, Helen. Like the way you are mixing obvious landmarks with things you have discovered for yourself. I often think the things we discover by chance are so much more exciting than those we visit in anticipation.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you – I hope you pop back here again. I agree, often it's the unexpected that makes a visit so special. Perhaps it's because it becomes more personal?

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful building. I love the divided use of the building, too.

    Annalisa, writing A-Z vignettes, at Wake Up, Eat, Write, Sleep

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would stay there like a shot, especially if one can hear the monks singing plainsong? Shame you missed the Pope!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could attend services and listen to the singing.

      Delete
  4. Wow! That is quite a facade.

    Stuart
    www.stuartlennon.com

    ReplyDelete